T03221 BABY c. 1932
Bronze, 5 3/4 × 12 × 9 (14.2 × 30.5 × 22.9) on teak base; ht. including base 8 1/8 (20.1)
Presented by the Trustees of the Chantrey Bequest 1981
Prov: Purchased from the artist by the Trustees of the Chantrey Bequest 1974
Exh: RA, May–July 1974 (1288)
Repr: RA Illustrated, 1974, p.63
'Baby’ was carved in London from a chalk pebble found on the beach at Hastings. Two casts were made from it soon afterwards, one in white china clay (private collection, India) and the second in terracotta (owned by a member of the artist's family). Two casts in bronze were made from the terracotta by the Art Bronze Foundry, 1 St Michael Road, London SW6, the first, which belongs to the Tate, in 1973, and the second, in 1974; the latter was exhibited (no. 13) at Gertrude Hermes' retrospective exhibition at the Royal Academy in September–October 1981 and was bought by a private collector.
The original carved chalk pebble disintegrated and no longer exists.
This catalogue entry, approved by Gertrude Hermes, is based on a discussion between her and the compiler (November 1982) and a letter from Mrs Judy Russell, the artist's daughter, of February 1983.
The Tate Gallery 1980-82: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions, London 1984