Catalogue entry

T03091 THE SEVEN SISTERS 1954

Inscribed ‘Kahn 54/SEVEN SISTERS’ on back of canvas
Oil on canvas, 20 × 24 (50.8 × 61)
Presented by Dr J.P. Hodin 1980
Prov: Dr J.P. Hodin (gift from the artist)
Exh: Queenswood Gallery 2, mixed exhibition of Brodzky, Harris, Kahn, Clare, Feigl, Sanders, Josephs, Pereira and Borchard, Queenswood Gallery, April–May 1960 (47)
Lit: J.P. Hodin, ‘An Epicurean of Painting’, in catalogue of Erich Kahn, Drian Gallery, August 1958, n.p.

Erich Kahn was a German-Jewish artist from Stuttgart, who emigrated to England in 1939. His portraits and landscapes, painted in a loose, expressionistic style, were exhibited at the Redfern Gallery in 1956. He also made etchings, linocuts and wood engravings and was active in the anti-Nazi movement among exiled artists and writers in London during the War. T03091 shows the dissolution of forms, almost to the point of abstraction, which was a particular characteristic of Kahn's style. The subject is the range of white cliffs between Cuckmere Haven and Eastbourne on the Sussex Coast, the highest of which is Beachy Head.

Published in:
The Tate Gallery 1980-82: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions, London 1984