Bryan Kneale b. 1930
T00941 Marina 1967
Aluminium, 38¾ x 40½ x 28 (98.5 x 103 x 71).
Purchased from the artist through the Redfern Gallery (Knapping Fund) 1967.
Exh: Redfern Gallery, October 1967 (1, repr. in colour and in black and white).
Lit: Bryan Robertson, ‘Bryan Kneale’s new work’, in Studio International, CLXXIV, October 1967, pp. 150–153, repr. p. 152.
Four parallel, flat sections of aluminium rise vertically from the ground. In each the outer perimeter is octagonal; within, a circular void has been cut which occupies almost the whole area enclosed by the octagon. Two rods penetrating all four sections hold them in an arrangement that cannot be changed. The sections, which are unevenly spaced, are very slightly irregular, with the result that the sculpture can rest flat on only one of its eight sides, the only base intended by the artist. A third rod, parallel with the ground, connects the two outer rods, passing between the two inner sections. At its central point this rod penetrates a sphere, itself the centre of a flat disc…