Not on display
Marie Laurencin 1885-1956
Inscribed 'Marie Laurencin' b.r.
Oil on canvas, 13 x 18 1/8 (33 x 46)
Bequeathed by C. Frank Stoop 1933
Prov: With Paul Rosenberg, Paris (purchased from the artist); C. Frank Stoop, London
Exh: The CAS: Loan Exhibition of Modern Foreign Painting, Colnaghi's Galleries, London, June-July 1924 (27) as 'Two Girls', lent by Mrs. Stoop; Guillaume Apollinaire 1880-1918: A Celebration 1968, ICA, London, November 1968 (276); Bristol City Art Gallery, December 1968-January 1969 (276)
Repr: The Dial, LXXIV, April 1923, between pp.356 and 357 as 'Portraits'; Roger Allard, Marie Laurencin (Paris 1925), p.37 as 'Portraits' 1918; Der Querschnitt, V, No.8, August 1925, facing p.721 (detail) as the property of the Leicester Galleries, London
The artist told Frank McEwen in a letter of May 1951 that this picture was painted in Madrid in 1915. Cecilia de Madrazo, a young Spaniard, is the girl with the hat; the other figure is the artist herself, and the dog is her dog, bought from an English sailor at Malaga. Marie Laurencin was staying in Madrid with the Madrazos at the time. As she had married the German painter Otto von Wätjen in 1914, she and her husband were obliged to spend the war years in neutral Spain.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.409, reproduced p.409