- Photograph, gelatin silver print on paper
- Support: 372 x 374 mm
frame: 645 x 620 x 38 mm
- Tate / National Galleries of Scotland
- ARTIST ROOMS Acquired jointly with the National Galleries of Scotland through The d'Offay Donation with assistance from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Art Fund 2008
Meredith Monk is a composer, performer, film-maker and interdisciplinary artist. As she said of herself: ‘I work in between the cracks, where the voice starts dancing, where the body starts singing, where theater becomes cinema’. Mapplethorpe has chosen to show her head in profile, silhouetted against a circular form, as if it were a halo. As in so many of his works, Mapplethorpe has turned to the Catholic iconography of the saints to elevate his sitter.
- work and occupations(11,717)
- emotions, concepts and ideas(15,689)