Dorothy Mead

Chessboard

1958

Artist
Dorothy Mead 1928–1975
Medium
Oil paint on canvas
Dimensions
Support: 760 x 640 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Presented by Andrew Forge 1971
Reference
T01493

Not on display

Display caption

Dorothy Mead was first taught by Bomberg at Dagenham School of Art. There, his insistence that individual exploration was more important than technical concerns caused her to complain to the college. Later, she became a devoted follower and was a founder member of the Borough Group.

This is one of a series of works made by Mead. Though the subject matter and colouring are quite different from the work of Bomberg and other Borough students, the use of thick paint and strong diagonal brushmarks is typical.

Gallery label, July 2004

Catalogue entry

Dorothy Mead 1928-1975

T01493 Chessboard 1958

Inscribed ‘D. Mead. 58’, b.r.
Canvas, 30 x 25 (76 x 63.5).
Presented by Andrew Forge 1971.
Coll: Andrew Forge, acquired direct from the artist.

The artist wrote (6 March 1972) that this picture was painted at her studio near Ladbroke Grove, London, and that there were other paintings of the same period and subject (in one of which a skull was represented) as well as some drawings, all of which were in her possession at the time of writing.

Published in The Tate Gallery Report 1970–1972, London 1972.

You might like