Catalogue entry

Robert Morris born 1931

P07235 Location Piece 1973

Not inscribed
Lead over composite board, with aluminium letters and arrows, and metallic meters, 21 1/8 x 21 1/8 x 1 (53.5 x 53.5 x 2.7)
Purchased from the artist through the Sonnabend Gallery (Grant-in Aid) 1974
Exh: Robert Morris, Sonnabend Gallery, New York, March-April 1974 (no catalogue)

This is a multiple, number 3 out of an edition of 17, which was published by Robert Morris and fabricated in his New York studio. In the last years Morris has begun to remake a few of his earlier pieces in editions of from 3 to 17.

The first version of this piece, now in the Mr and Mrs Robert C. Scull collection, New York, was made in 1963 and measures 24 x 24in (61 x 61cm). It is in oil paint on a wood panel, with metallic meters. The letters and arrows are painted, whereas in the multiple they are in aluminium, in relief.

The four arrows point upwards to the ceiling, down to the floor and sideways towards the two adjacent walls. The meters alongside them are meant to be adjusted to show the distance in feet in these four main directions and thereby tabulate the location of this work on the wall surface. When first shown at the Sonnabend Gallery in 1974, three of these pieces were hung in one of the gallery spaces, each noting different measurements.

Published in:
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.545, reproduced p.545