N03180 ST MARY'S, OXFORD c. 1909
Inscr. ‘A. W. Rich’ b.l.
Watercolour, 9 1/4×10 7/8 (25·5×27·8).
Presented by the Contemporary Art Society 1917.
Coll: Presented to the C.A.S. by Miss E. P. McGhee 1911.
Exh: N.E.A.C., winter 1909 (265).
St Mary's is the University Church of Oxford. The south porch, shown here, was erected in 1637 by Doctor Owen, Chaplain to Archbishop Laud, and the statue of the Virgin in the niche above it was specifically mentioned in the articles of Laud's Impeachment.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II