- Oil paint on canvas
- Support: 749 x 622 mm
- Presented by R. Just Boyd through the Art Fund 1926
N04188 THE AMBER BEADS c. 1926
Inscr. ‘W Russell’ b.r.
Canvas, 29 1/2×24 1/2 (75×62).
Presented by R. Just Boyd through the National Art-Collections Fund 1926.
Exh: R.A., 1926 (15).
Repr: Royal Academy Illustrated, 1926, p.23; N.A.C.F. Report 1926, 1926, p.39.
Though exhibited at the Royal Academy as ‘The Amber Beads’ this was reproduced in the Royal Academy Illustrated as ‘The Artist's Wife’. Russell married Lydia, daughter of William Nelson Buston, of Woodburn Green, Buckinghamshire, in 1900. She sat for a number of his pictures and died in 1944.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II
- fine arts and music(3,606)
- heating and lighting(827)
- clothing and personal effects(5,799)
- vessels and containers(2,191)
- reading, writing, printed matter(4,952)
- book - non-specific(1,908)