Ashdown House is clearly visible in the background on the left of the picture. It was built c.1665, by an unidentified architect (possibly William Winde), as a hunting-lodge for William, 1st Baron Craven. Seymour's viewpoint is from the south-east, on Kingstone Downs, looking towards the back of Ashdown House. The two hills on the right of the picture are probably Weathercock Hill and (further from the spectator) Crowberry Tump.
Fox-hunting first appeared in England in the late seventeenth century, replacing the earlier sport of stag-hunting. Its success was only gradual, however, and stag-hunting remained common in many parts of England up to the middle of the eighteenth century. Roger Longrigg (p.65) suggests that the 4th Lord Craven began fox-hunting in the year of his succession. He notes that Seymour portrays tricolour (black, white and tan) foxhounds, with some of the blood of the Duke of Richmond's kennels at Charleton in Sussex, and that the Cravens were typical of the territorial magnates who maintained the hunt at their own expense. Seymour shows the foreground littered with 'sarsens', the distinctive sixty to seventy million year-old boulders that still characterise the district.
Seymour painted the 4th Lord Craven in other sporting pursuits as well. A picture (present whereabouts unknown) also set on the Berkshire Downs shows him coursing, apparently with the same two greyhounds which are portrayed chasing a hare in the background on the right of this painting. Some of the horses appear to be the same in both pictures.
The Tate Gallery 1968-70, London 1970, p.67, reproduced p.30 in colour
Roger Longrigg, The History of Foxhunting, London 1975, pp.60, 62, 65, reproduced