'Warwick' Smith spent five years in Italy from 1776 to 1781. Between March 1778 and July 1779 he was in Naples, and during the summers of those two years took lodgings east of the city on the coast at Vietri, which overlooks the Gulf of Salerno. This watercolour shows the Benedictine abbey of La Trinità near the village of Corpo La Cava, which is situated a little inland from Vietri. It is one of a number of views of Naples and the vicinity by Smith in the Oppé Collection which were once mounted in an album. After Smith returned to England, he produced many variant versions of his Italian compositions. Many of these were made for exhibition and sale at the Society of Painters in Watercolour, of which he became a full member in 1806.