T03337 PORTRAIT OF LOUIS BEHREND c.1928
Pencil on paper, 11 1/2 × 8 7/8
Presented by Mrs Nancy Carline 1982
Prov: Given by the artist to Richard Carline; Nancy Carline 1980
Repr: Richard Carline, Stanley Spencer at War, 1979, p.151
John Louis Behrend (1881–1972) and his wife Mary were Stanley Spencer's principal patrons. According to their son George Behrend (Stanley Spencer at Burghclere, 1965) they first met Spencer at a party given by Lady Ottoline Morrell in 1914. In 1918 the Behrends moved from London to Grey House, Burghclere, where they lived for the next 36 years. In 1924 while on a visit to Henry Lamb, in Poole, Dorset, Spencer showed the Behrends designs for wall paintings for a memorial chapel. The same year the Behrends decided to build a chapel so that Spencer could carry out his scheme. The chapel was to be a memorial to Mrs Behrend's brother, Lieutenant H.W. Sandham RASC who had died in 1919 from illness contracted in Macedonia.
The Behrends commissioned Lionel Pearson FRIBA to design the chapel as well as two almshouses which flank it. The chapel, the Oratory of All Souls, Burghclere, Berkshire was dedicated by the Suffragan Bishop of Guildford on 25 March 1927. Spencer executed the paintings for the chapel between 1927 and 1932. They were based on his experience in the army during the First World War working first in a military hospital in Bristol and then in Macedonia. When the chapel was presented to the National Trust in 1947 it became known as the Sandham Memorial Chapel.
J.L. Behrend's art collection was exhibited at the Leicester Galleries in May 1962. Among many works by Stanley Spencer included in it were ‘Swan Upping’ and ‘Mending Cowls, Cookham’ (both now owned by the Tate Gallery). There were also works by Sickert, Henry Lamb, Edward Burra and Augustus John.
An oil painting of 1927 by Henry Lamb, belonging to the Hove Museum of Art, shows Louis and Mary Behrend with their young son and daughter (reproduced in colour in Studio, XCVI, 1929, p.163).
The Tate Gallery 1980-82: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions, London 1984