The delineation of overlapping rectilinear forms gives this painting a strongly architectural quality. It appears to show the influence of the Hungarian artist Laszlo Moholy-Nagy. Moholy-Nagy taught at the Bauhuas in Germany from 1923-8. He moved to London in 1935 and lived not far from Stephenson in Hampstead.
The fusion of art, architecture and design was a guiding principle for the international abstract movement, as it had been for the Bauhaus school. Both movements embraced the possibility that a work or art might convey an idealistic social dimension and function.