View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
The Altes Museum was one of the many buildings commissioned in the 1820s and 1830s from the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel as part of a large-scale building programme in Berlin undertaken by Friedrich Wilhelm III. Turner has inscribed the number '18' above the museum to indicate the exact number of columns that make up the portico. On 20 June 1832 Turner had been appointed to a committee to discuss a new building for the National Gallery, and one of his motives for a tour round central Europe at this date was probably to compare the housing of the first public collections.
Gallery label, February 1992