Joseph Mallord William Turner

Caerlaverock Castle


Not on display
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite on paper
Support: 187 x 114 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest CCLXVI 53

Catalogue entry

With the sketchbook turned to left there are five or six sketches of Caerlaverock Castle and views nearby on this page. At the top is a view across the mouth of the River Nith from Caerlaverock. Part of the estuary is covered in mud banks and there are two boats.
Beneath this is a sketch of the castle gatehouse from due north (see a similar view on folio 50; D25859).
The third sketch down is inscribed ‘Crifel’, and shows Criffell with Waterloo Hill to its right with the Waterloo Monument at its summit. Criffell can be seen in several of the other sketches of Caerlaverock (folios 49 verso, 50, 51 and 51 verso; D2585, D25859, D25861, D25862) and again at the bottom of the present page.
In the centre of the page is another view of Caerlaverock Castle, this time from the west (see folio 52 verso), with Castle Wood at the left of the picture.
At the bottom of the page is a sketch of the side of a building that lies just to the north-east of the castle. This is now the castle visitor centre. Criffell can be seen in the background (unless it is a separate sketch).

Thomas Ardill
September 2009

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like