After Joseph Mallord William Turner
Château de Tancarville with Town of Quilleboeuf 1834

Artwork details

Château de Tancarville with Town of Quilleboeuf
Date 1834
Medium Line engraving on paper
Dimensions Image: 92 x 140 mm
Acquisition Purchased 1986
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Catalogue entry

[from] Turner's Annual Tour, 1834: Wanderings by the Seine pub.1834 [T04698-T04707; complete]

Ten line-engravings by various engravers, comprising ten subjects out of a total of twenty; various sizes; all bearing Turner studio blind stamp
Purchased (Grant-in-Aid) 1986
Prov: Artist's sale, Christie's 23–5 April 1873; ...; N.W. Lott and H.J. Gerrish Ltd, from whom bt by Tate Gallery
Lit: Leitch Ritchie, Turner's Annual Tour: Wanderings by the Seine, 1834; The Rivers of France, 1837 (reprinted with an introduction by Eric Shanes, 1990); Leitch Ritchie, Liber Fluviorum: With a Biographical Sketch by Alaric A. Watts, 1853; M.B. Huish, The Seine and the Loire, 1895; Turner en France, exh. cat., Centre culturel du Marais, Paris 1981

For a discussion of this project, see under T04678-T04697 above. The engravers responsible for the plates in this group were: James Baylis Allen (1803–76), Robert Wallis (1794–1878), Robert Brandard (1805–62), Thomas Jeavons (c. 1800–67), James Tibbetts Willmore (1800–63), William Miller (1796–1882) and John Cousen (1804–80).

T04701 Château de Tancarville with Town of Quilleboeuf engr. R. Brandard, pub.1834

Line-engraving 92 × 139 (3 5/8 × 5 1/2) on India paper laid on wove paper 301 × 436 (11 7/8 × 17 3/16); plate-mark 150 × 229 (5 7/8 × 9)
Engraved inscriptions as for T04700
Lit: Rawlinson II 1913, no.459, first published state

Published: p.52. Original watercolour: Tate Gallery, TB CCLIX 130 (Wilton 1979, no.957).

Published in:
Tate Gallery: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions 1986-88, London 1996

About this artwork