After Joseph Mallord William Turner Lillebonne, Château and Tower 1834

Artwork details

Artist
Title
Lillebonne, Château and Tower
Date 1834
Medium Line engraving on paper
Dimensions Image: 100 x 136 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition Purchased 1986
Reference
T04702
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Catalogue entry

[from] Turner's Annual Tour, 1834: Wanderings by the Seine pub.1834 [T04698-T04707; complete]

Ten line-engravings by various engravers, comprising ten subjects out of a total of twenty; various sizes; all bearing Turner studio blind stamp
Purchased (Grant-in-Aid) 1986
Prov: Artist's sale, Christie's 23–5 April 1873; ...; N.W. Lott and H.J. Gerrish Ltd, from whom bt by Tate Gallery
Lit: Leitch Ritchie, Turner's Annual Tour: Wanderings by the Seine, 1834; The Rivers of France, 1837 (reprinted with an introduction by Eric Shanes, 1990); Leitch Ritchie, Liber Fluviorum: With a Biographical Sketch by Alaric A. Watts, 1853; M.B. Huish, The Seine and the Loire, 1895; Turner en France, exh. cat., Centre culturel du Marais, Paris 1981

For a discussion of this project, see under T04678-T04697 above. The engravers responsible for the plates in this group were: James Baylis Allen (1803–76), Robert Wallis (1794–1878), Robert Brandard (1805–62), Thomas Jeavons (c. 1800–67), James Tibbetts Willmore (1800–63), William Miller (1796–1882) and John Cousen (1804–80).


T04702 Lillebonne, Château and Tower engr. T. Jeavons, pub.1834

Line-engraving 101 × 137 (4 × 5 3/8) on India paper laid on wove paper 300 × 438 (11 13/16 × 17 1/4); plate-mark 151 × 228 (5 15/16 × 8 15/16)
Engraved inscriptions as for T 04698 but with engraver's name given as ‘T. Jeavons.’
Lit: Rawlinson II 1913, no.460, first published state

Published: p.64. Original watercolour: Tate Gallery, TB CCLIX 110 (Wilton 1979, no.958).

Published in:
Tate Gallery: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions 1986-88, London 1996

About this artwork