View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
Cockermouth was the extreme westerly point of Turner’s Lake District tour, and prompted only one drawing on this visit. The view, made with the page turned horizontally, is taken on the River Derwent, looking upstream with the castle on the right. He was later to have more substantial links with the town: the castle is one of the seats of the Earls of Egremont, and he was commissioned to paint it by the 3rd Earl who acquired the picture1 in 1810 after Turner had visited Cockermouth again and made further studies in 1809. The oil painting still hangs at Petworth (Tate T03879); see also the ‘Works for Earls Egremont and Lonsdale 1809’ section of the present catalogue.
Martin Butlin and Evelyn Joll, The Paintings of J.M.W. Turner, revised ed., New Haven and London 1984, p.77 no.108, pl.115 (colour).
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram; inscribed in a later hand in pencil ‘20’, and by A.J. Finberg in pencil ‘141.20’.