After Macerata, Turner’s route continued south-west to the next post stage of Tolentino, an ancient episcopal town which lies within the valley of the River Chienti.1 Like most of the other locations he passed en route to Rome, Turner would have seen little of Tolentino other than the sights he could glimpse from the road. This sketch represents a distant view of the town seen from the river to the south-west. Identifiable landmarks include from left to right: the campanile of the Church of San Francesco (Torre dell Orologio); one of the gates of the town; the campanile and baroque façade of the basilica of San Nicola; the Romanesque dome and lantern of Santa Maria Nuova; and the campanile of San Catervo.
The post stage itinerary was published in Reichard’s Italy, London 1818, pp.301 and 330. See Turner’s own copy (Tate, Turner Bequest CCCLXVII).