Joseph Mallord William TurnerGalashiels Old Parish Church 1834

Share this artwork

Artwork details

Artist
Title
Galashiels Old Parish Church
From Edinburgh Sketchbook
Turner Bequest CCLXVIII
Date 1834
MediumGraphite on paper
Dimensionssupport: 111 x 181 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D26182
Turner Bequest CCLXVIII 45
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Catalogue entry

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 45 Recto:
Galashiels Old Parish Church 1834
D26182
Turner Bequest CCLXVIII 45
Pencil on white wove paper, 111 x 181 mm
Inscribed in red ink by John Ruskin ‘45’ top right running vertically
Stamped in black ‘CCLXVIII – 45’ top right running vertically
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
This rather scrappy sketch depicts Gala Hill from across the Gala Water to the north. The tower at the centre belongs to Galashiels Old Parish Church, which was built in 1813 and demolished in 1960;1 it can be seen in the views of Galashiels on folios 43 and 45 verso (D26178, D26183). The chimney to the lower left of it belongs to one of the town’s woollen mills.
For further references to sketches of Galashiels and details about the context of Turner’s visit to the town, see folio 42 verso (D26177).

Thomas Ardill
January 2011

1
‘Galashiels, Old Parish Church’, Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland, accessed 20 January 2011, < http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/259880/details/galashiels+old+parish+church/>.

About this artwork