Joseph Mallord William Turner

Harewood Castle: The Ruins from the South-East

1797

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 210 x 270 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D00976
Turner Bequest XXXIV 67

Catalogue entry

Drawn with the page turned horizontally, this is one of seven studies of the castle, all in this book; the others are on folios 72 recto, 73 recto, 75 recto, 76 recto, 77 recto and 78 recto (D00977, D00978, D00980–D00983; Turner Bequest XXXIV 68, 69, 71, 72, 73, 74). As Finberg noted, this is the subject on which a watercolour commissioned by one or other of the Lascelleses is based,1 as recorded by Turner inside the front cover of this book. It left the Harewood collection in the mid-nineteenth century, and David Hill supposes that it formed a companion to the view of Harewood Castle from the north2 still in the house. See also note on the verso below. Turner’s note in the top right-hand corner of the sheet refers to the cross placed in the window at the centre of the left-hand facing wall. He made sure to depict the ‘sky thro’ in his finished watercolour. A small oil painting of the same subject has recently been discovered;3 although its authorship has been contested, it is clearly by Turner himself. It is in a private collection.
1
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.324 no.222.
2
Ibid., p.324 no.221, reproduced.
3
Not in Martin Butlin and Evelyn Joll, The Paintings of J.M.W. Turner, revised ed., New Haven and London 1984.
Verso:
Inscribed by Turner ‘Wm Blake’; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram. As Finberg observes,1 this inscription refers to Turner’s pupil William Blake of Newhouse and not the famous visionary poet and painter. Turner executed a small version of the subject on the recto for Blake; it was later in the collection of Holbrook Gaskell.2

Andrew Wilton
January 2013

1
Finberg 1961, p.45.
2
Wilton 1979, p.324 no.223.

Read full Catalogue entry

Explore

You might like