The kind of high rocky cliffs featured in this sketch abound in the Channel Islands and were the subject of extensive study in this volume. The very tall and thin structure visible towards the top left-hand corner of the page may locate this scene on the east coast of Guernsey, looking south towards the Doyle Monument. This landmark was a large column, raised to commemorate Sir John Doyle (1756–1834) who had served as the island’s Lieutenant Governor during the Napoleonic Wars.1
J.T. Cochrane, A Guide to the Island of Guernsey, St Peter Port 1826, pp.69–70.