View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
This sketch completes a set of views made around Innerleithen on 2 October 1834 during a two-day tour of the Scottish Borders: folios 14 verso–18 (D26121–D26128); see Tour of Scotland for Scott’s Prose Works 1834 Tour Introduction. The pointed hill behind the slender trees to the left is Lee Pen, which can be seen in several sketches in this group; Turner’s inscription across the hill has not been deciphered. The building in the centre foreground may be the gateway to Traquair House, making this a view north from the road that runs south from Innerleithen. Having made these sketches Turner continued south along this road to St Mary’s Loch (folio 20 verso; D26133).