Inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation, the view is north-west towards Lichfield Cathedral, with the north side of St Michael’s Church prominent on the left above its graveyard. There are some slight incidental details at the top left, perhaps of carvings on the north porch. The word at the bottom right, possibly ‘John’, was presumably noted from a tombstone. The pinnacled tower left of the cathedral is that of St Mary’s Church, later rebuilt with a spire and now partly given over to Lichfield Heritage Centre. There has been much subsequent development. There are clouds over the cathedral, with vertical strokes below possibly indicating rain.
Wilton 1975, p.109; Wilton 1979, p.403.
Finberg 1909, II, p.731.