Not on display
Newby Hall lies a few kilometres west of Boroughbridge, on the way towards Ripon. It was built by Sir Edward Blackett in the early 1690s and in 1748 was bought by William Weddell who formed an outstanding collection of classical antiquities and created a gallery at Newby to house them. Weddell died in 1792 and the house passed to his cousin Thomas Robinson, Lord Grantham, who in 1833 became 1st Earl de Grey. The house has passed down to the Compton family and is open to the public during the summer months.
- symbols & personifications(7,228)