Not on display
This sketch is part of a panoramic 180-degree view from the hill of Camaldoli looking along the Tyrrhenian coastline from Vesuvius in the east to the Gulf of Pozzuoli in the west. Turner’s contemporary, James Hakewill (1778–1843), drew a similar vista in 1816 inscribed with the names of the principal landmarks.1 The composition continues on the opposite sheet of the double-page spread, see folio 76 (D15887; Turner Bequest CLXXXV 74) but the landmarks visible on this side include the distant islands of Procida and Ischia, the Bay of Baiae to Capo Miseno, and the Lake of Agnano (labelled ‘Lago A’ by the artist), a volcanic crater lake which was drained during the late nineteenth century and is now the site of a modern hippodrome. The curved stone bench in the right-hand foreground with seated figures represents the southern tip of the grounds of the Camaldolese monastery and can still be seen in situ today.
For a more detailed discussion and further views from Camaldoli see folio 73 (D15871; Turner Bequest CLXXXV 71).
View from the great Camaldoli above the city of Naples 1816 (British School at Rome Library), reproduced in Tony Cubberley and Luke Herrmann, Twilight of the Grand Tour: A catalogue of the drawings by James Hakewill in the British School at Rome Library, Rome 1992, no.5.42, reproduced p.270.