Joseph Mallord William Turner

Peebles: The Parish Church and the Ruins of Cross Kirk

1834

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 111 x 181 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D26102
Turner Bequest CCLXVIII 4 a

Catalogue entry

In his unpublished notes, David Wallace-Hadrill grouped this sketch under a series depicting Peebles and Neidpath.1 While Neidpath Castle (sketches of which begin opposite on folio 5; D26103) does not appear in this sketch, the buildings depicted here can be identified.
A church tower with a steeple and a ruined square tower are depicted in the sketch at the centre of the page and again at the bottom right. The tower and steeple resemble that of Peebles Parish Church (no longer extant), as depicted more clearly on folio 8 (D26109). The ruined tower in the centre sketch and the gabled ruin at the bottom right are the ruins of the Cross Kirk, formerly a pre-Reformation monastery and then the Parish Church until 1784, when a new Parish Church was built.2
There are light brown stains across the right of this page.

Thomas Ardill
December 2010

1
David Wallace Hadrill, ‘CCLXVIII “Edinburgh” 1831–34’, [circa 1991], Tate catalogue files.
2
‘Cross Kirk’, Undiscovered Scotland, accessed 7 December 2010, < http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/peebles/crosskirk/index.html >.

Read full Catalogue entry