The subject of these three views, separated by pencil lines, was identified as Peveril Castle by A.J. Finberg (died 1939) and the watercolour and Turner scholar C.F. Bell (died 1966) in undated manuscript notes in copies of Finberg’s 1909 Inventory.1 As Ian Warrell has noted,2 the two views on the left show similar aspects of the castle from the south-west, looking down to St Edmund’s Church and beyond to the hills of the High Peak, while the third sketch, made with the page turned vertically, shows the castle from the south-east across Cave Dale, with parallel diagonal strokes above the distant hills perhaps indicating rain. There is a similar view to the latter on folio 33 recto opposite (D22210).
For other views of the castle, Castleton and Peak Cavern, see under folio 1 verso (D22152).