View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
For Turner’s trip into North Wales from Tabley in 1808, see Introduction to the sketchbook. As suggested by Finberg, Turner’s inscription denotes Pont-y-Glyn (Pont Glyn-Diffwys) across the River Ceirw, which carries a road branching off from the old toll road from Corwen westwards towards the coast via Betws-y-Coed. The bridge spans a gorge, Glyn Diffwys, which was then a celebrated beauty spot and may have prompted Turner to extend his route from Corwen. On folio 14 (D06875; Turner Bequest CIV 13) is another drawing evidently of the bridge, from below in the steep ravine on the Corwen side while others of the zig-zagging toll road, some including the bridge to the side, follow from folio 12 (D06872; Turner Bequest CIV 11). The road, now part of the A5, was later upgraded by Thomas Telford as part of his London-Holyhead route, and today this stretch is by-passed and maintained as a footpath. Turner’s views can no longer be fully appreciated as the gorge is overgrown with trees.
You might like
After Joseph Mallord William Turner Nantes