View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
Turner scholar David Hill describes this careful study as ‘palpably an exercise in meditation. The artist rapt in his subject and oblivious to all else.’1 Finberg characterised it as ‘merely an average example of the kind of work that Turner now seemed to produce without the slightest effort. The most complicated structure and detail now presented no difficulties to his well-trained eye and hand. ... But there is no trace of emotion or imagination in the graceful play of these clear-cut, accurate, and methodical lines.’2 A similarly careful but impressive drawing of the interior is on the preceding leaf, folio 8 recto (D01008; Turner Bequest XXXV 5). The Minster became the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Ripon in 1836.
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram; inscribed by A.J. Finberg in pencil ‘41.6; Ripon? | AJF’.