Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Ripon: The Minster Seen from the South-East, with the Canal in the Foreground
From North of England Sketchbook
Turner Bequest XXXIV
Medium Graphite on paper
Dimensions Support: 210 x 270 mm
Acquisition Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest XXXIV 19
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
The subject is drawn with the page turned horizontally. Two further views of Ripon from a distance are on loose sheets (Tate D01098, D01099; Turner Bequest XXXVI D, E); see also folio 21 recto (D00926; Turner Bequest XXXIV 20). The Minster did not become the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Ripon until 1836; the earliest church was founded by St Wilfred in the seventh century, and Wilfrid’s crypt of about 670 is still extant below the crossing, one of the earliest Christian buildings to survive in Britain.
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.
About this artwork
Other objects you may be interested in
Find similar objects