Joseph Mallord William Turner

San Filippo Neri, Turin

1819

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 111 x 186 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D14214
Turner Bequest CLXXIV 35

Catalogue entry

As Turner’s inscription indicates, the subject of this sketch is the eighteenth-century Church of San Filippo Neri, the largest religious building in the city. The drawing depicts the western façade of the church from the street known as the Contrada dell’Accademia (present-day Via dell’Accademia delle Scienza),1 and Turner’s viewpoint is in Piazza Carignano, just in front of the Palazzo Carignano. Just visible on the opposite side of the street (right-hand side of composition) is the Palazzo dell’Accademia delle Scienze (present-day Museo Egizio: Egyptian Museum). Turner had written the name ‘St Philippo Neri’ in his notes from Revd John Chetwode Eustace’s A Classical Tour Through Italy in the Italian Guide Book sketchbook (see Tate D13962; Turner Bequest CLXXII 16a).
For a list of further sketches of Turin see folio 12 (D14166; Turner Bequest CLXXIV 11).
1
A map of 1834 shows the Contrada dell’Accademia and San Filippo Neri. Map is reproduced on-line at http://taurinorum.com/FotoLibri/Torino-1834.gif, accessed January 2013.
Verso:
Blank

Nicola Moorby
January 2013

Read full Catalogue entry