Joseph Mallord William Turner

Shrewsbury: The Old Welsh Bridge

1794

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 207 x 278 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D00330
Turner Bequest XXI D

Catalogue entry

Used as the basis for a finished watercolour exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1795 (Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester).1 The tower glimpsed beyond the bridge is that of the new church of St Chad. The old bridge itself was in the process of being demolished, to be replaced by a five-arched bridge by John Carline and John Tilley which was finished in 1795.
Finberg records ‘G’ inscribed in the drawing but this is no longer legible.
1
Wilton 1979, p.310 no.82, reproduced.
Verso:
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram; inscribed in a later hand ‘140’.

Andrew Wilton
April 2012

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like