Joseph Mallord William Turner

St David’s: The Ruins of St Mary’s Chapel and the Entrance to Bishop Vaughan’s Chapel

1795

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 264 x 203 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D00590
Turner Bequest XXVI 37

Catalogue entry

The great square tower of the cathedral with its pinnacles of c.1500 is visible in the top right corner of this view, which records the state of the building prior to its restoration by John Nash and, later, by Giles Gilbert Scott.
Verso:
Blank; inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘734’; and in a later hand in pencil ‘43’; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.

Andrew Wilton
April 2012

Read full Catalogue entry