Joseph Mallord William TurnerSt David's: Part of the Ruins of the Bishop's Palace 1795

Share this artwork

Artwork details

Artist
Title
St David's: Part of the Ruins of the Bishop's Palace
From South Wales Sketchbook
Turner Bequest XXVI
Date 1795
MediumGraphite on paper
Dimensionssupport: 203 x 264 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D00588
Turner Bequest XXVI 35
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Catalogue entry

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 35 Recto:
St David’s: Part of the Ruins of the Bishop’s Palace 1795
D00588
Turner Bequest XXVI 35
Pencil on white wove paper, 203 x 264 mm
Inscribed by Turner in pencil ‘35’ bottom right, descending vertically
Stamped in black ‘XXVI 35’ bottom left, descending vertically
This is a view taken from inside the grand ruins of the Bishop’s Palace, with an incongruous feature that will have appealed to Turner: the thatched cottage constructed from ancient masonry and used as a dwelling. The tower in the centre background is that of St Mary’s College. A drawing of the Palace gate is on folio 40 recto (D00593; Turner Bequest XXVI 39); see also folios 36 recto and 37 recto (D00589, D00590).
The drawing was made with the page turned horizontally.
Verso:
Blank; inscribed by ?John Ruskin in pencil ‘11’; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.

Andrew Wilton
April 2012

About this artwork