Joseph Mallord William Turner

Stirling Castle and the Parish Church of the Holy Rude

1834

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 113 x 190 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D26356
Turner Bequest CCLXIX 51 a

Catalogue entry

Stirling Castle and the Parish Church of the Holy Rude to the right are seen here from the King’s Park to the west. This is Turner’s fourth full-page version of this view, suggesting that rather than making multiply sketches in order to record more information about the subject, he was instead testing out different compositions. Unlike other sketches he has here managed to fit the castle and church into a single composition.
See folio 49 verso (D26352) for references to further sketches of the castle from King’s Park, and see folio 44 verso (D26342) for a full list of Turner’s sketches of Stirling. Turner drew a different view of the castle and church on folio 53 verso (D26360).

Thomas Ardill
October 2010

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like