Joseph Mallord William TurnerStirling Castle from King's Park; and Holy Rude Parish Church 1834

Share this artwork

Artwork details

Artist
Title
Stirling Castle from King's Park; and Holy Rude Parish Church
From Stirling and Edinburgh Sketchbook
Turner Bequest CCLXIX
Date 1834
MediumGraphite on paper
Dimensionssupport: 113 x 190 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D26355
Turner Bequest CCLXIX 51
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Catalogue entry

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 51 Recto:
Stirling Castle from King’s Park; and Holy Rude Parish Church 1834
D26355
Turner Bequest CCLXIX 51
Pencil on off-white wove paper, 113 x 190 mm
Inscribed in blue ink by John Ruskin ‘51’ top right and ‘340’ bottom right
Stamped in black ‘CCLXIX 51’ bottom right
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
The sketches on this page were made from King’s Park to the west of Stirling Castle. At the top of the page is a view of the castle which sits on the steep Castle Rock. Just beneath the rock to the right is Snowdon House (since demolished for Snowdon Cemetery; see also folio 50; D26353). The sketch beneath is of the Parish Church of the Holy Rude which is just to the south of the castle. This sketch could therefore be considered as a continuation of the sketch above. At the very left of the page is another view of the church, this time continued from the sketch on folio 50. There is a view of the castle and Holy Rude church together on the reverse of this page (folio 51 verso; D26356).
This is one of several sketches of Stirling Castle from the King’s Park to the south-west (see folio 49 verso; D26352). For a full list of Turner’s sketches of Stirling see folio 44 verso (D26342).

Thomas Ardill
October 2010

About this artwork