Joseph Mallord William Turner

The Church of St-Jacques and Dieppe Harbour

1845

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite, gouache and watercolour on paper
Dimensions
Support: 232 x 332 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D35460
Turner Bequest CCCLX 2

Catalogue entry

In delicate watercolour washes, Turner depicts the across Dieppe harbour from near the district of Pollet towards the medieval Church of St-Jacques. Prominent in the centre of the page are the edifice’s tall west tower, and a little before it, the seventeenth-century dome that rises above its crossing.1 The expansive harbour waters are indicated by a wide band of blank ‘reserved’ paper in the foreground and a rapidly pencilled fishing boat; evidence of the town’s industrial mainstay.2 That the view was taken at low tide is perhaps suggested by the inscriptions of ‘mud’ and ‘Rock’ at the bottom of the page.
For reasons set out in the Technical notes of the sketchbook Introduction, this work appears inverted in relation to the volume as foliated.
1
Jean Benoi^t De´sire´ Cochet, Les Églises de l'Arrondissement de Dieppe, Dieppe 1846, pp.57–127.
2
John Murray (ed.), Hand-Book for Travellers in France, revised ed., London, Paris and Leipzig 1844, p.23.
Verso:
Blank; except for small spots of watercolour transferred from folio 2 recto opposite (D35461; Turner Bequest CCCLX 3).

John Chu
February 2014

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like