View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
- Graphite on paper
- Support: 245 x 384 mm
- Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest XLIV W
Finberg identified the theatre as Covent Garden, but this is in fact the King’s Theatre, Haymarket, built to designs by Michael Novocielski in 1791; these were modified by Mariani in 1796, and Turner’s drawing seems to record the interior prior to that date. It had a seating capacity of 4,000.1 Turner’s interest in the London theatres is well attested, and it has been suggested that one of his early posts was assistant scene painter at the Pantheon in Oxford Street (see Tate D00121; Turner Bequest IX A).
See Iain Mackintosh and Geoffrey Ashton, The Georgian Playhouse, exhibition catalogue, Hayward Gallery, London 1975.
The sheet has been folded vertically at the centre.
- places of entertainment(357)
- UK countries and regions(24,337)
- UK London(4,992)
- Haymarket, King’s Theatre(1)