Display caption

Known to Turner as the Temple of Jupiter Panhellenius, the great Doric temple at Aegina is now recognised as dedicated to the mother-goddess Aphaia. It was excavated by an Anglo-German team, including the architect C.R. Cockerell, in 1811. Turner was given a drawing of it by Byron's schoolfriend and fellow-student, Henry Gally Knight, and used it as the basis of paintings and drawings including this unused design for his compendium of landscape types, the 'Liber Studiorum'.

August 2004