This is a sketch of the town of Verdun with its wooden bridge leading to a fortified city gate: the Porte Chaussée. A formidable piece of medieval masonry, comprised of two impenetrable conical and crenellated towers, the Porte Chaussée was constructed in 1380, funded by a wealthy local draper called Jean Wautrec.1 To the right of the gate can be seen St Nicholas’s Chapel, a seventeenth-century Jesuit church, and beyond that, one of the towers of the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Verdun. Details of the last two of these monuments are repeated below the principal image, Turner inscribing ‘Cath’ (short for ‘Cathedral’) between them.
‘Chaussée Tower’, Site de la Communauté de Communes de Verdun et de la ville de Verdun, http://eng
.verdun, accessed 21 May 2013. .fr /Universal -city /Verdun -today /Heritage /Chaussee -Tower
There is some creasing of the paper at the top of the page.