This is a view of Albano from the Via Appia (Appian Way), the road which links Rome to south-east Italy.1 The town, approximately fifteen miles south of the capital, is recognisable from the tall tomb marked with regular squares on the far right, sometimes called the Tomb of Pompey or Ascanius. For a full discussion see folio 2 (D15298). Also visible on the left is the bell-tower of the Cathedral of San Pancrazio.
On the left-hand side of the page Turner has drawn a woman in local dress carrying a large pot on her head.
A similar view can be seen in a drawing by Charels Joseph Lecointe, see Francesco Petrucci e Susanna Marra, Vedute dei Colli Albani e di Roma dall’album di viaggio di Charles Joseph Lecointe (1824–1886), exhibition catalogue, Palazzo Chigi, Ariccia 2006, no.17, p.53, reproduced.