Not on display
The Butter Cross, in Winchester High Street, dates from the early fifteenth century (though what we see today is the restoration of 1865 by George Gilbert Scott). A watercolour based on this study, probably drawn for the artist William Alexander (1767–1816), is in the Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester (D.84–1892);1 see the commission noted inside the back cover (D41253). This was engraved by J. Powell, 30 July 1800.
Wilton 1979, p.317 no.164, reproduced.
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.