Not on display
N04807 LORD CLIVE c. 1910–12
Inscr. ‘Tweed’ on top of base near right foot.
Bronze, 33 1/2×16 1/4×12 1/4 (85×42×31), on base 12 1/4×12 1/4×1 1/4 (31×31×3·5).
Chantrey Purchase from the artist's family 1934.
Exh: Imperial Institute, June–July 1934 (9); R.A., 1935 (1700).
Lit: Lord Edward Gleichen, London's Open-Air Statuary, 1928, pp.42–3; Lendal Tweed, John Tweed: Sculptor, 1936, pp.151–3, repr. facing p.148.
A reduced version, otherwise identical in every detail, of the bronze, twice life-size, now standing at the top of the steps leading from King Charles Street to St James's Park. The sketch model for this statue was done at the invitation of a government competition committee, and was first exhibited at the R.A. in 1910 (1789). What Lendal Tweed (op. cit., p.152) describes as ‘the completed bronze’ was exhibited at the R.A. in 1912 (1768) as a ‘model’ and was presumably N04807 or another bronze after the original model; other casts belonged to Sir Percival Landon and Sir Edward Marsh. A marble version of the final statue was erected in Calcutta.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II