- Sir Hubert Von Herkomer 1849–1914
- Oil paint on canvas
- Support: 1422 x 1118 mm
- Bequeathed by Amy, Lady Tate 1920
The sugar magnate, Sir Henry Tate, sponsored numerous projects relating to public education, health and welfare. He presented his collection of nineteenth-century British art to the nation and paid for a gallery to house it. This portrait was completed in the year that the National Gallery of British Art, on the site of the old Millbank Penitentiary, was opened by the Prince of Wales. Only in 1932 did the institution become officially known as the Tate Gallery.
Gallery label, August 2004
- work and occupations(14,300)