Turner Bequest XCIII 14
Inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘14’ bottom left, descending vertically
Stamped in black ‘XCIII 14’ bottom left, descending vertically
For views including the church of St Dunstan-in-the-East see folio 13 (D05786). This busy scene, crowded with barges and lighters and itself observed from a boat, includes the Custom House; another view, from a position further to the left, is on folio 15 (D05789). This is the Custom House as rebuilt by Thomas Ripley, 1715–27. As rebuilt again by David Laing, 1813–17, it appears in Turner’s watercolour of about 1825 (Vancouver Art Gallery, Canada)1 made for engraving in Views in London and its Environs. By deft use of wash, Turner wonderfully conveys shadow and reflections on the river.
How to cite
David Blayney Brown, ‘London: St Dunstan-in-the-East and the Custom House from the Thames c.1805–6 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, October 2007, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, December 2012, http://www