The Rebel Art Centre was founded by Wyndham Lewis in London in March 1914 as a meeting place for artists to discuss revolutionary ideas and teach non-representational art

1 of 3
  • Wyndham Lewis, 'Workshop' circa 1914-5

    Wyndham Lewis
    Workshop circa 1914-5
    Oil on canvas
    support: 765 x 610 mm frame: 915 x 760 x 75 mm
    Purchased 1974 Wyndham Lewis and the estate of Mrs G A Wyndham Lewis by kind permission of the Wyndham Lewis Memorial Trust (a registered charity)

    View the main page for this artwork

  • Christopher Richard Wynne Nevinson, 'La Mitrailleuse' 1915

    Christopher Richard Wynne Nevinson
    La Mitrailleuse 1915
    Oil on canvas
    frame: 777 x 670 x 90 mm support: 610 x 508 mm
    Presented by the Contemporary Art Society 1917 Tate

    View the main page for this artwork

  • Edward Wadsworth, 'The Port' circa 1915

    Edward Wadsworth
    The Port circa 1915
    Woodcut on paper
    image: 187 x 127 mm
    Purchased 1970 The estate of Edward Wadsworth

    View the main page for this artwork

The Centre, based at 38 Great Ormond Street in London, was a short-lived enterprise and by the summer of 1914 had closed down as a result of internal disputes. Yet, in those brief months, it had hosted an exhibition of sculptures by the prodigiously talented Henri Gaudier-Brzeska and a lecture by the writer Ezra Pound.

Originally set up as a rival to Roger Fry’s art and design collective Omega Workshops, the Rebel Art Centre pursued a hotly militant form of futurism that was to become known as vorticism. Its members numbered the Omega defectors Frederick Etchells, Cuthbert Hamilton and Edward Wadsworth and the painter Kate Lechmere. The centre featured geometric murals painted by Lewis and screens designed by Christopher Nevinson. Little collective art was produced at the centre, but it became the early headquarters of the vorticists and the radical art publication Blast.