Term referring to the artists associated with the fishing town of St Ives in West Cornwall, which became a centre for modern and abstract developments in British art from the 1940s to the 1960s

1 of 3
  • Dame Barbara Hepworth, 'Pelagos' 1946

    Dame Barbara Hepworth
    Pelagos 1946
    Part painted wood and strings
    object: 430 x 460 x 385 mm, 15.2 kg
    Presented by the artist 1964 Bowness, Hepworth Estate

    View the main page for this artwork

  • Ben Nicholson OM, '1943-45 (St Ives, Cornwall)' 1943-5

    Ben Nicholson OM
    1943-45 (St Ives, Cornwall) 1943-5
    Oil and pencil on canvasboard
    support: 406 x 502 mm frame: 440 x 535 x 65 mm
    Purchased 1945 The Estate of Ben Nicholson. All Rights Reserved, DACS 2002

    View the main page for this artwork

  • Wilhelmina Barns-Graham, 'Glacier Crystal, Grindelwald' 1950

    Wilhelmina Barns-Graham
    Glacier Crystal, Grindelwald 1950
    Oil on canvas
    support: 514 x 609 mm
    Presented by the Contemporary Art Society 1964 The Barns-Graham Charitable Trust

    View the main page for this artwork

St Ives became a particular magnet for artists following the extension to West Cornwall of the Great Western Railway in 1877.

In 1928 the artists Ben Nicholson and Christopher Wood visited St Ives where they were struck by the work of the naïve artist Alfred Wallis, whose painting confirmed Nicholson in the modern direction of his work. In 1939 at the outbreak of the Second World War, Nicholson and his then wife the sculptor Dame Barbara Hepworth, both by then fully fledged abstract artists, settled near St Ives, where they were soon joined by the Russian constructivist sculptor Naum Gabo. After the war St Ives became a centre for modern and abstract developments in British art led by Hepworth and Nicholson (Gabo departed in 1946).

From about 1950 there gathered in St Ives a group of younger artists and it is with this group, together with Hepworth and Nicholson (until his departure in 1958), that the term St Ives School is particularly associated. The principal figures of the St Ives School include Wilhelmina Barns-Graham, Paul Feiler, Sir Terry Frost, Patrick Heron, Roger Hilton, Peter Lanyon, Karl Weschke and Bryan Wynter, together with the pioneer modern potter, Bernard Leach.

The heyday of the St Ives School was in the 1950s and 1960s but in 1993, Tate St Ives, a striking purpose-built new gallery in a remarkable situation on Porthmeor Beach in St Ives, was opened. It exhibits the Tate collection of St Ives School art and related types of art, and has given the town a whole new lease of artistic life.