Turner Bequest CLXXVII 13 a
Inscribed by the artist in pencil ‘GREGORIO XIII PONT | OPTIMAX, ET PILLIPO Card | VASTAVII | Proctectore AN MD | LXXIII’ top left and ‘Lombardi Beautiful | Doors’ along left-hand edge and ‘Benedictus XIV PM’ bottom left
Turner’s copy of the inscription which runs along the middle cornice of the façade of the Santuario della Santa Casa and reads ‘SVB GREGORIO XIII PONT OPT MAX ET PHILIPPO CARD VASTAVILL PROTECTORE AN MD LXXXIII’. Turner’s transcription is close, but not entirely accurate.
One of the three sets of bronze doors of the basilica.
The upper storey above the gateway on the west side of the Piazza della Madonna leading out to the present-day Piazza Giovanne XXIII. Also Turner’s transcription of the dedication to Pope Benedict XIV.
The west side of the Piazza della Madonna which is bordered by the two-storey colonnades of the shorter wing of the Palazzo Apostolico. The upper storey now houses the museum and art gallery of the Santuario della Santa Casa. Turner has drawn the view from the south-west corner of the square looking towards the opposite side.
How to cite
Nicola Moorby, ‘Details and Inscriptions from the Santuario della Santa Casa and the Piazza della Madonna, Loreto 1819 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, November 2008, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, December 2012, https://www