J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Holy Trinity Church, Camp Hill, Bordesley, with Birmingham Beyond 1830

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 27 Verso:
Holy Trinity Church, Camp Hill, Bordesley, with Birmingham Beyond 1830
D22025
Turner Bequest CCXXXVIII 27a
Pencil on white wove paper, 120 x 203 mm
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
The Gothic Holy Trinity Church at Camp Hill, Bordesley (designed by Francis Goodwin, consecrated in 18231 and thus relatively new at the time of Turner’s visit) is seen at the centre, with the dome of St Philip’s Church (later Birmingham Cathedral) on the skyline to the north-west beyond. Off Trinity Terrace, Bordesley, the church is now disused and surrounded by later development.
There is also a small sketch of the church on the recto (D22024), and it is also seen in the contemporary Birmingham and Coventry sketchbook (Tate D22393; Turner Bequest CCXL 38). For other views of Birmingham, see under folio 3 verso (D21980).

Matthew Imms
August 2013

1
See ‘Holy Trinity Church, Camp Hill, Bordesley, Birmingham’, University of Birmingham: ePapers Repository, accessed 5 January 2012, http://epapers.bham.ac.uk/311/.

How to cite

Matthew Imms, ‘Holy Trinity Church, Camp Hill, Bordesley, with Birmingham Beyond 1830 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, August 2013, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, September 2014, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-holy-trinity-church-camp-hill-bordesley-with-birmingham-r1148666, accessed 03 December 2021.